Stone Flooring – Domestic Contracts
During the winter of 2015 and spring 2016 these beautiful natural stone flooring installations were completed directly for domestic home owners on their grand, period properties. The choice of flooring was selected for use within the main entrance halls and corridors therefore had to be a suitable and robust stone. During initial meetings tile options designs were discussed and both clients opted for an octagonal field tile with square inserts (taco’s). Being a traditional flooring design, this choice lent itself to the period architecture of both properties. Whereas one client’s choice of stone was reminiscent of an old English limestone floor you would expect to find within a stately mansion, the other, opting for a high grade travertine tile with a honed and filled surface finish combined with green slate taco’s and matching step nosings, created a more modern chic appearance you might find in a boutique hotel. Both tile selections and designs created an awe inspiring finish.
Scope of Works
- Both contracts required considerable preparation works to strengthen the existing subfloors or make levels good. Existing surfaces were cleaned, strengthened in the case of timber floorboards and levelled prior to the installation of rigid tile backer boards to add additional strength and / or thermal insulation properties.
- Electrical under floor heating and / or decoupling systems were installed to add further luxury and performance enhancing properties to the completed installation.
- The selected stone products were pre-cut at factory or wet cut by our specialist craftsman.
- Stone flooring was meticulously set out and installed to suit each client’s design preferences.
- Surfaces were treated with high quality impregnators prior to grouting and once again on completion.
The professional management and craftsman skills from initial visit through to procurement and completion were critical to the success of both contracts. The preparation works involved in both instances was quite substantial and necessary to ensure the newly tiled finishes would last a lifetime. Setting out of traditional design flooring within a number of adjoining areas and individual spaces with varying dimensions, all of which unlikely to be perfectly square, requires the skills of a highly experienced craftsman so that the final overall design does not exhibit unsightly cuts or areas where the pattern looks irregular when compared to other key architectural features or finishes. One of our client’s reviews below is a testament to our company’s professionalism and ongoing commitment to providing specialist, high quality wall and floor tiling services.
We engaged C&A Bennett to provide underfloor heating and stone tiling for the large (20m2) hallway of our victorian home. We have been impressed with the whole process from start to finish – several visits to ensure the choice of stone would work, how it would integrate with the other rooms, suggestions for additional stone thresholds (which were a real improvement) etc. During installation the team were efficient, professional, friendly and couldn’t do enough to make sure any disruption was kept to a minimum. All in all, a great team who created a fantastic result. We would recommend C&A Bennett without hesitation – and if we have a need for additional work in the future, we would re-engage them in a heartbeat.